I have not been drinking enough water. The whole time I was on vacation (16 days! Lovely!) I was thinking I need to drink more water. And then today I went on a run with the girls and it kicked my butt. I was absolutely parched and the sun was beating down on me and I felt fatigued. This is partly due to the fact that I only ran twice while I was away which is not really enough for someone "training" for a marathon. But mostly I think it was due to be overheated and underhydrated. After the run, I was stretching and my skin (especially around my scar on my leg) felt like it might snap. Amazing how being dehydrated can make your skin shrink.
Two things got me through this run. One, shamefully, my pride. I admit it--I have a somewhat unattractive competitive drive at times. This is the one that often gets me into trouble on the soccer field. The other, motivation was my goal. No, not my soccer goal (although I'm sure to get many as the season kicks off next Saturday) but my goal to run this marathon and to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.
This morning I got an email from a new honoree in the LLS and it really moved me (See posting below). This honoree is a young woman in her 30's who was diagnosed with B Cell Leukemia and Lymphoma and has just gone into the hospital for round two of four rounds of chemo. Her courage and her ability to articulate her experience are beyond admirable. Your donation goes not only to cancer research and education, but to patient aid to help people like this honoree.
Running is a small challenge compared to the challenge of fighting off cancer and I hope to be half as strong as this new honoree.
Tuesday, August 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment